Monday 14 December 2015

Snip! Snip! Chop! Chop!

Lord have mercy...it has been a while, but if there was ever a time to resume...it is now. Let me just say...a lot has changed since the last time. The biggest...well most visible: I Cut My Hair!! (well it's been cut for a month now, but the pics are from then). What the masses do not know is that this has actually been a long time coming. So many people have lamented over the big chop, so here is the why:

Although I have been natural most of my life, I've only been deep conditioning, finger detangling, and including phrases like 'the LOC method' in my vocabulary, now haircabulary, for about three years now. By the time I became aware of all of this the damage was already done. My hair was split up and down...and sideways. Miraculously it never actually looked damaged...which is why no one believes me when I tell them this.

I tried to press forward without cutting it, but as I came to know in time, no amount of coconut oil could get rid of split ends. the only solution: a good pair of scissors. So while I came to terms with the decision I had made, I decided to try everything I dared to on my hair since it was all coming off soon anyway. I coloured, I got a blowout, and I texturized (basically a permanent blowout...I'm not a fan). Even though I had already decided to cut, it was still difficult to commit the actual deed, but the two textures I had now acquired as a result of the new growth coming in after texturizing was making styling increasingly burdensome.

One wash day, after longingly staring at my kinks at the roots and the vast difference that were my straggly ends, I made up my mind that the hair was going...that very day. It wasn't difficult to distinguish the healthy hair from the unhealthy hair, so I decided a home job would suffice, and so I solicited my mother's help. At first she refused...she could not comprehend why I wanted to cut off all my 'good hair'. After much persuasion she finally gave in, although she quarrelled the entire time before stopping mid cut and announcing, "I'm not cutting anymore! I don't know why you doing this..."

Needless to say, I had to struggle with the scissors and the bathroom mirror to complete the job, but all in all I feel like I did ok. Words cannot describe the freedom that I have experienced since then, wash day is a breeze! Although I am completely loving my new hair, and I'm definitely tempted to keep it short forever, I do miss throwing my hair up into a top bun, or my favourite two flat twists. But until it grows back out I'll be enjoying this big chop!


Apologies for the poor quality, but it is literally the only pic I have showing the length after the blowout. It was slightly above armpit length.








When coping with two/multiple textures I strongly suggest curls...they camouflage the inconsistencies.



The chop! My hair is about two inches long...just hitting the bridge of my nose.





1 comment:

  1. Firstly let me say, I love your new chop!!!
    I am also struggling with damaged hair even though I already did the big chop. However whenever I had a weave in my hair I would straighten the front or side as necessary to have the "complete look". I used a lot of flat irons and curling irons on my natural hair in attempt to get it straight...and as a result my edges disappeared but thankfully daily use of Jamaican Black Castor Oil, I am seeing changes, small though they be, they're changes nonetheless. My hair is coming back. Yay. However even though I have not had a full relaxer in five years, the partial relaxing jobs has left my hair thin and weak so I am thinking of starting over and this time doing it the healthy way... I'm scared...

    ReplyDelete